Archdean's Church of St. James
A representative municipal temple, where an interesting late gothic, renaissance as well as baroque inventory is preserved.
Arciděkanství Kutná Hora, Havlíčkovo náměstí 1, 284 01 Kutná Hora
Tel: + 420 327 512 115, Fax: + 420 327 512 115
In the early 14th century, remarkable municipal churches were erected in the towns of Jihlava, Kolin and Havlickuv Brod. Kutna Hora also felt an urgent need for a church, having only several wooden chapels scattered amidst the mines. It was decided to build a stone church that would better reflect the town s significance. The project was largely financed by the town's prominent patrician families and mining officials.
The construction was undertaken by a team of builders from Prague in 1330-1420 and it was particularly here but also at other places that the influence of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec was felt. The original design was of a twintower church but the second tower has never been completed. With the many underground tunnels, the slope on the edge of which the church stands was found not stable enough to support the structure. The tower that was built is 86 metres high, and the church is sometimes referred to as the High Church. From the 1430s to the year 1620 it was managed by the Utraquist Church and the town for some time became the residence of the Utraquist bishopric.
Interesting Late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque furnishings and decorations have been preserved in the church. The paintings, in particular, are quite remarkable: a Renaissance panel of 1515 called The Last Supper by H. Elfedar, the relief of Christ and the Zebedee brothers with a Kutna Hora townscape of 1678 by K. Eichler, the Execution of St. James by F. X. Palko of 1752 (altar), and the painting of the Holy Trinity signed by Peter Brandl of 1734 (altar). The church is accessible only during services.