College of the Jesuitical order, which was built according to design of the Italian architect Domenico Orsi. Ground plan of the building creates the letter F in honour of the emperor Ferdinand II. Artificially raised terrace in front of it is embellished, according to the Charles Bridge model, by sculptures of saints.
České muzeum výtvarných umění v Praze, Husova 19-21, 110 01 Praha 1
Tel: + 420 222 220 218, Fax: + 420 222 221 190, muzeum(@)cmvu.cz
In 1626, the Jesuits arrived in Kutna Hora to re-Catholicise the then Utraquist town and its surroundings. The order was supposed to take care especially of the education of children and young people. This is why a college was built at St. Barbara's Church in 1667-1700 after the design of the Italian architect Domenico Orsi.
The ground plan is the letter F, in honour of the Emperor Ferdinand II. Originally, the college was connected by a covered gallery with St. Barbara's Church. The artificial terrace in front of it was in the early 18th century decorated with statues of saints by the Jesuit sculptor Frantisek Baugut, after the example of the statues on Charles Bridge in Prague.